Components of a streaming system:
Signal sources: Camera image, output of video mixer, cable television signal, PC screen, etc. with the associated audio channel.
Streaming encoder unit: Compressing and converting of the audio and video signals to a transmittable form on the computer network. Up to HD quality encoding.
Transcoder: Optionally, receiving and real-time (on-the-fly) converting of the streaming encoder’s sign to quality version streams for different “screens” (e.g. television, desktop PC, mobile device).
Streaming server (CDN): High performance server that is responsible for the distribution of the data stream encoded by the encoder on the network. Viewers connect to the streaming server that “multiplies” the data stream sent by the encoder. Capable of servicing up to thousands of people. CDN (Content Delivery Network) is a geographically distributed, fault-tolerant network of streaming servers that intelligently services the viewer from the closest CDN node.
Video web portal: It is a basic need for live broadcasts to be available for the viewers as a canned material so the target audience is able to view, search, rate, share and comment the recordings regardless of time and location, similar to the service of public video sharing sites but in corporate environment, adapted to the special corporate needs.
Additional services of streaming servers
Of course it is important for the designed streaming system to provide high quality and deliver the broadcast content to a large audience in a reliable way. But this is not always sufficient as many specific requirements need to be met in a corporate environment:
- User authentication and access management integrated into the existing enterprise IT systems (e.g. Microsoft Windows environment)
- Document sharing
- Transmitting and displaying presentation content
- Asking and moderating questions
- Compliance with the corporate security and operation policy
- Analytics: displaying and exporting detailed viewer statistics, reporting
- Preparation of video-based e-learning materials, user tracking, progress monitoring
- Branding, adapting corporate image into the video web portal
- Detailed metadata management options for effective searching and retrieving
Streamnet have built up complex streaming systems for many large companies and content providers. Our company employs a number of highly qualified professionals with relevant streaming experience.